3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 15697 times)  

Hi, all,

I may be starting a new job at UMBC fairly shortly. While scouting out bicycle commuting routes, I see that the Baltimore DOT bike map and Google maps both recommend getting there on Wilkens Avenue, but the street doesn't look very wide. I don't imagine traffic will be going too fast, though. Any opinions on the safety of Wilkens Avenue? That really does look to be the most direct route.

I've ridden Wilkens Ave. and survived. The real issue is how comfortable you are riding in traffic and how familiar you are with safe (defensive) riding practices (see: http://www.baltimorespokes.org/links/index.php?category=Must+read+for+bike+safety ). I will also note typically areas around freeway ramps can be a pain to deal with during rush hour as the two together seems to encourage overly aggressive driving, I like to avoid those when I can just to keep bicycling a mellow relaxing experience. For an option consider using roads south of the University (Shelbourne/Westland)

I hope this helps.

Chatty

Hey, I was really searching for a ride tomorrow also, simply happened to run over your post. I'm from the zone however don't know of any gathering rides tomorrow, yet I know the streets. I wasn't anticipating 60 miles however may be eager on the off chance that I have room schedule-wise.

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1