Baltimore Spokes
Biking in Baltimore
Login
Welcome to Baltimore Spokes
Wednesday, September 03 2014 @ 06:55 AM UTC
 Forum Index >  Bike Trails >  Getting from A to B
 Seeking route opinions: downtown Baltimore to UMBC
   |  Printable Version
By: weiwentg (offline)  Wednesday, December 05 2012 @ 09:59 PM UTC (Read 2317 times)  
weiwentg

Hi, all,

I may be starting a new job at UMBC fairly shortly. While scouting out bicycle commuting routes, I see that the Baltimore DOT bike map and Google maps both recommend getting there on Wilkens Avenue, but the street doesn't look very wide. I don't imagine traffic will be going too fast, though. Any opinions on the safety of Wilkens Avenue? That really does look to be the most direct route.

Forum Newbie

Profile Email    

By: B' Spokes (offline)  Sunday, December 09 2012 @ 06:10 PM UTC  
B' Spokes

I've ridden Wilkens Ave. and survived. The real issue is how comfortable you are riding in traffic and how familiar you are with safe (defensive) riding practices (see: links/index.php?category=Must+read+for+bike+safety ). I will also note typically areas around freeway ramps can be a pain to deal with during rush hour as the two together seems to encourage overly aggressive driving, I like to avoid those when I can just to keep bicycling a mellow relaxing experience. For an option consider using roads south of the University (Shelbourne/Westland)

I hope this helps.

Forum Chatty
Chatty

Profile Email