During the shutdown, the Park is closed. This includes the towpath and all facilities. Visitation is strictly prohibited.
- Visitor traffic, whether on foot, bike, or horse, is strictly prohibited.
- Bicyclists planning rides from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O Canal should plan to turn back at Cumberland.
- All Visitors Centers are CLOSED.
- Hiker/Bikers and campgrounds are CLOSED.
- The Canal Quarters lockhouses are CLOSED.
- All restroom facilities, both permanent and portable, are CLOSED.
- Handles have been removed from all well pumps.
- The only Park staff that will be on duty will be law enforcement rangers.
- The portion of the Capital Crescent Trail that runs parallel to the towpath in DC is managed by the C&O Canal NHP and is CLOSED.
- All access roads to the Park are CLOSED. This means you will not be able to trailer boats to boat ramps along the towpath.
- Interpretive and educational programming in the Park will be temporarily suspended. School field trips to the Park will need to be rescheduled once Park staff has returned.
- Volunteer events and events requiring special use permits will not be able to take place.
- All volunteers working in an official capacity should cease volunteer activities immediately and not enter the Park's premises.