1) I will add a new point to this discussion, motorcyclists get this with their mandatory helmet law:
§ 21-1306.1.(e) Failure to use required headgear; evidence; civil actions. --
- (1) The failure of an individual to wear protective headgear required under subsection (b) of this section may not:
- . (i) Be considered evidence of negligence;
- . (ii) Be considered evidence of contributory negligence;
- . (iii) Limit liability of a party or an insurer; or
- . (iv) Diminish recovery for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or operation of a moped or motor scooter.
Cyclists should get that as well.
2) From my observations Maryland has a below average number of cyclists. We need to work on getting more cyclists, not making it more restrictive. For more points about Undesirable effects of mandatory helmet use.
3) WABA opposes: Why We Don’t Support Mandatory Helmet Laws
4) Bikeyface makes a great post on SERIOUS ABOUT SAFETY. Let's work down this list before we get to the last item, OK?
Main page: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&stab=01&id=hb0339&tab=subject3&ys=2013RS