HB 143 - Bicycle Safety
* Requires that a driver of a motor vehicle, when overtaking a bicycle, not pass at a length of less than 3 feet, and that the driver of a motor vehicle yield the right-of-way to a person who is riding a bicycle in a designated bicycle lane. This bill creates a legal "safe-zone" for bicyclists and gives them an extra added measure of safety on the road.
* First Hearing - House Environmental Matters - Tuesday, Feb. 5th at 1PM
* Read the bill <a href="http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/bills/hb/hb0143f.pdf">http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/bills/hb/hb0143f.pdf</a>
SB 204 - Makes transit-oriented development a State transportation priority
* Ensures that commercial and residential development adjacent to transit stations is a statewide "transportation priority" and expands MTA's ability to coordinate and further these projects. More transit oriented development means less sprawl and more options for Marylanders who don't want to travel everywhere in their car.
* First hearing - Senate Finance Committee - Wednesday, Feb. 6th at 1PM -
* Read the bill <a href="http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/bills/sb/sb0204f.pdf">http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/bills/sb/sb0204f.pdf</a>
* This is cross-filed in the House under HB 373
* Read the Baltimore Sun editorial in support of this bill. <a href="http://xml.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bal-ed.transit31jan31,0,3701372.story">http://xml.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bal-ed.transit31jan31,0,3701372.story</a>
SB 492 - Bicycle and Pedestrian access on MdTA toll facilities
* Removes the state's current total prohibition on bicyclists and pedestrians on Maryland Transportation Authority (MdTA) bridges and tunnels and gives the MdTA the option of allowing access. This means future and current bridges and tunnels may be fitted with bike/ped facilities.
* First Hearing in the Senate - Not scheduled yet
* Read the bill <a href="http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/billfile/sb0492.htm">http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/billfile/sb0492.htm</a>