ANNAPOLIS The ninth annual Maryland Bicycle and Pedestrian Symposium will be held on Wednesday, February 8, 2006 from 8:30 am to 4 pm at the President's Conference Center, West, Miller Senate Office Building.
Attendees will learn about the recently passed federal transportation bill SAFETEA-LU and how it will affect transportation funding for Maryland. Other topics to be discussed includes Safe Routes to School, bicycle and pedestrian friendly roads, trails being planned and built, and legislation that will affect bicyclists and pedestrians in Maryland.
The full day event will include:
* Awards presented to legislators and activistswho have advanced bicycling and walking in Maryland
* SAFETEA-LU presentation by Bob Chauncey,Director for Policy Analysis, National Center for Bicycling and Walking
* Presentations by the Maryland Bicycle andPedestrian Committee
* A talk on how to use signage to integratebicycling into larger transportation networks by Michael Jackson, Directorof Bicycle and Pedestrian Access, Maryland Department of Transportation
* Information tables with representatives frombicycling, pedestrian, planning, environmental, health, and tourism groups
* Trick riders from Joe