Monday, April 08 2013 @ 11:24 AM UTC
Contributed by: B' Spokes
Bike To Work Day is Friday, May 17, 2013!
Bike to Work Day 2013, sponsored by the Baltimore Metropolitan Council, will be celebrated in the Baltimore region and across the nation on Friday May 17, 2013.
This year marks the 16th annual event in the Baltimore region and will feature events at locations around the region.
Online Registration is Closed, but You Can Still Ride Up + Register!
Online registration is now closed, but you can still ride on Friday! Just join us at one of the rallies or pit stops below and register on-site for freebies, prizes, food and more. The first 1,400 registered riders that attend an event will receive a mesh hat. Some rallies will also have free bike checks, prizes, t-shirts, and other great info and giveaways.
Catonsville (Santa's House @ Catonsville Fire Dept)
Columbia (The Mall in Columbia, 7 to 9 am)
Towson (Towson Courthouse, 7 to 9 am)
Don't want to bike alone? Join a Convoy!
Volunteers from around the region are stepping up to lead convoys of Bike to Work Day riders to locations around the Baltimore area and beyond. Check out our B2W Day Convoys page for more info or, if you'd like to volunteer let us know @ email@example.com.
Also, check out this great Facebook page by Bikemore -- it is a great place to ask your questions and get some info from seasoned riders about the best route to ride for bike to work and more. Plus, get the 411 on this year's Bike FROM Work Day Party at the Pratt Street Ale House!
Why Bike To Work Day?
Bike to Work Day is an event celebrated across the United States each May to encourage and celebrate bicycling to work and promote public awareness of bicycling and bicycle safety.
Locally, B2WD promotes a “clean commute” and is part of the region's Clean Commute Initiative, which begins in April. Late Spring is the start of the ground-level ozone season, when we hear about Code Red and Orange Ozone Action Days. On those days, the air is dangerous to breathe – especially for the young and for the elderly. Emissions from single occupancy vehicles contribute significantly to our region's dangerous ozone levels. Bike commuting can improve the air we breathe.
Stay up-to-date with Bike to Work Day and other great bike events from around the Baltimore region through the BikePed Beacon E-Newsletter or follow us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter ! Sign-up today!
- Get ready for this year's Bike to Work Day! Check out our extensive bicycle section for information on commuting by bike, bicycle safety, comfort tips, bike maintenance, and more!
- Learn more about Clean Commute Month.
- View nationwide information on Bike to Work Day, Bike to Work Week, and Bike Month from the League of American Bicylists.
- Join us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the most up-to-date information about biking to work and other important news and events!
- Sign up for the BikePed Beacon E-Newsletter to stay up to date with Bike to Work Day and other great bicyle and pedestrian related events throughout the region.
For more information: Russ Ulrich, firstname.lastname@example.org, 410-732-9575