7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Likes:
  (Read 23893 times)  

Hello,

Just moved to Baltimore from San Francisco and am currently commuting via bicycle and would like to know more about riding in the winter time. Is snow or ice a big issue? Is there any special equipment (studded tires, etc.) necessary? Thanks,

Greg

In the past few years our winters have been very mild by north east standards but rummer has it that they are predicting worse for this winter so predicting what is necessary for biking may be a bit problematic.

With that said I feel there are two major areas of concern during the winter, 1) There are some locations where water running across the roadway freezes creating patches of black ice, usually due to a broken storm drain, fire hydrant or just because of runoff wanders across the road. 2) The first 24 hours after a snowfall, as it takes a bit for the stuff to clear the roadway.

For 1 It would be a good idea to keep an eye out along your route where water runs across the roadway or pools in your path and avoid those areas in freezing conditions. For 2 generally knobby mt bike tires work fine. I will also note that sometimes I have had to change my route off of less traveled roads to well traveled roads so I can have a ice free surface to ride on but for the most part I use the same bike and tires year round.

P.S. Welcome to Baltimore

Chatty

Quote by: The+human+car

In the past few years our winters have been very mild by north east standards but rummer has it that they are predicting worse for this winter so predicting what is necessary for biking may be a bit problematic.

With that said I feel there are two major areas of concern during the winter, 1) There are some locations where water running across the roadway freezes creating patches of black ice, usually due to a broken storm drain, fire hydrant or just because of runoff wanders across the road. 2) The first 24 hours after a snowfall, as it takes a bit for the stuff to clear the roadway.

For 1 It would be a good idea to keep an eye out along your route where water runs across the roadway or pools in your path and avoid those areas in freezing conditions. For 2 generally knobby mt bike tires work fine. I will also note that sometimes I have had to change my route off of less traveled roads to well traveled roads so I can have a ice free surface to ride on but for the most part I use the same bike and tires year round.

P.S. Welcome to Baltimore

+1 on Barry's post.

My first year of road bike commuting to work from Essex to Towson I had the misfortune of riding over what I thought was a wet spot on the road from a leaking fire hydrant--air temp was about 2 degress above freezing, but apparently the road surface was at or below freezing. Since the patch stretched the length of both lanes of the road and it was long enough for both of my wheels to be on it at the same time, you can imagine the result. Luckily, I broke nothing on my body--only acquired some road rash on my right hip. My right shifter was knocked out of alignment, but a few hard knocks with the palm of my hand and it was back in place. Also, my right pedal suffered some gouges from the road. This occurred at approximately 6am--there was no traffic behind me.

In the future I will be commuting to work from Essex to Aberdeen (22 miles one way), because work is relocating. I've already started to note where water streams across or pools on the road.

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?

Jasmine

very nice forum

Hello,

Just moved to Baltimore from San Francisco and am currently commuting via bicycle and would like to know more about riding in the winter time. Is snow or ice a big issue? Is there any special equipment (studded tires, etc.) necessary? Thanks,

Is snow and ice a big issue here? Generally speaking no but there are spot issues such as black ice and sometimes cleanup after a storm does not go as well as cyclists would like. So to be prepared for anything (I believe they are predicting more polar vortexes again this year) I would say studded tires would be a good investment if you plan on riding through the winter and have no backup plan. If your riding within the confines of the city there is a possibility that knobby mountain bike tires would be good enough but that depends on a lot of other factors.

Chatty
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1